Monday, May 29, 2006

The World's Best




The picture you see is the stereo German compilation on the S*R label, The World's Best. (And next to it, a lovely photo of John from '65.) A special aspect of this compilation is that it includes the 5 taps on the hi-hat intro for "All My Loving" (that's why Paul always counted "1-2-3-4-5" before the lads performed it live--it starts on the off beat.) The entire album sounds fantastic, and the cover is stunning. I love the picture from the "Strawberry Fields Forever" video shoot with the psychedelic painting in the sky behind them. Perfect.

The tracklisting is:
Good Day Sunshine
All My Loving
Eight Days A Week
No Reply
Rock And Roll Music
A Hard Day's Night
I Should Have Known Better
And I Love Her
Things We Said Today
Michelle
Doctor Robert
Yellow Submarine
If I Fell
And Your Bird Can Sing
Girl
Eleanor Rigby

I've been listening to my Japanese vinyl pressing of the 1976 Capitol release, Rock 'N' Roll Music. George Martin remixed the songs (how much is debatable), and they're all in stereo. John had a fit about it, saying that his "Revolution" single was now a "piece of ice cream" instead of the hard-hitting punch that was the mono single mix. He's right--I love to listen to my Apple "Hey Jude/Revolution" 45, and crank it up! Love that distortion! I still enjoy this compilation, and Love Songs anyway. Can you believe the hideous artwork, though? John had asked Capitol if he could do the artwork for the album--and they TURNED HIM DOWN. Unbelieveable!

One of my favorite things to do is listen to The Beatles through headphones. "Strawberry Fields Forever" gives me that wonderful chill right at the base of my spine, when the svaramandle pans across the channels...I love that feeling.

I think I may listen to some "old skool" Beatlegs tonight, like Ultra Rare Trax and Unsurpassed Masters. There's nothin' better.

No comments: