Sunday, January 27, 2008

John's Teen Screen Magazine 1964













A friend gave me a near mint copy of this Beatlemania teen magazine for my birthday. I already had the "Paul" issue, so I was naturally very happy to receive the "John" one. These magazines are quite hilarious. Very little of the information included is actually true, but the pictures more than make up for it. I recall that the Beatles themselves would get particularly irritated by the American "movie mags" due to their complete disregard of the facts.

From the looks of it, most of the photos in this particular magazine came from the Beatles' first trip to the U.S., particularly their first Ed Sullivan appearance. I love the 10th picture--Mark Benson, who portrays John in the tribute band 1964, has that "face" down pat.

One of my favorite aspects of John's appearance was his gorgeous smile--I also love the way his eyes would light up when he was really amused by something, or genuinely happy. I once had a very close friend (with whom I've lost touch) who also had that same kind of smile. I find myself missing him as I write this.

Click on the above pictures to enlarge so you can make your very own Teen Screen magazine!

2 comments:

Laura said...

LOL It amuses me to see John as a teen idol. :) These are fantastic as always!

Eric said...

Hello, my name is Eric! My mother recently told me that she had a poster hanging in her childhood bedroom from Teen Scream magazine of Paul Mccartney on the beach sipping from a coconut. I have been trying to find this poster so that I can purchase it for her birthday, but you are the only person I can find on the internet in possesion of the "Paul" issue of that magazine! If there is any way that you could search for that photograph/poster and scan it, I would be eternally grateful if you could e-mail it to me at erico595[at]yahoo.com !!! Thank you very much for your time, I really hope that this works out because it would make my mom very happy!