Saturday, October 27, 2007

George's Guitar Collection

















My good friend Jeff (of whom I have written before, and I'm sure I will write again) sent me a treasure trove of original clippings from the solo years of each former Beatle. I will be sharing some of these with you over time.

I love guitars. I believe I've established that fact. So, naturally, I was thrilled to find a copy of the famous interview George gave to Guitar Player in 1987 among the articles Jeff sent. I think it's one of my favorite interviews because George seems so excited to talk about his gear--he's like a school boy again, like when he drew sketches of guitars in his notebooks instead of doing his school assignments. The best part of the article is the gallery of photos George took himself. Because the interview was taking place in L.A. George took some snap shots of interesting guitars from his collection so he could share them with other guitar lovers. I love reading the stories behind the guitars. It's great seeing the Zemanitis custom made guitar with the heart-shaped soundhole--the same one Dhani plays in the Concert for George. The other Zemaitis guitar can be seen in the promo for "Ding-Dong, Ding-Dong"--George is playing it in the buff, save for some wild furry boots.

I have been searching all day for a photo of George playing his Coral electric sitar, then it hit me--check out the best Harrison-photo collection on the web: Simply Shady Hari. If there is any photo of George you're looking for, this fan will have it, I assure you. I found what I was looking for and more. Check out the great photo of George on that Gibson J200....

I've also included a picture of George at Friar Park with his guitar collection; It looks like the photo could be from about 1974 or so. I've had this photo in my collection for years, so I am unsure as to where I found it. (As usual, click on the photos to enlarge.)

I hope to be back updating this blog regularly. I've been extremely busy with other projects, and I was lacking in inspiration, honestly. My love for all things Fab did not wane in the least, but in attempting to keep the material here fresh and interesting, I seemed to hit a bit of a snag. Hopefully my muse will return. Please post a comment if you have any requests!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful interview with George. I have not seen this before.
Could I just point out that the guitar that Dhani plays at the concert for George is a Zemaitis replica. It was made by Dave of England. George's Z's were too vslusble to use, plus the engineers wanted the modern Fshman style trandsducers. Regards. Keith Zemaitis Guitar Club

child of nature said...

Thank you for your comment! I would not have known that the guitar was a replica otherwise.

kenwoodlennon said...

This is fantastic - thanks for posting it!

Anna Schafer said...

I love reading the stories behind the guitars. It's great seeing the Zemanitis custom made guitar with the heart-shaped soundhole--the same one Dhani plays in the Concert for George. Dave

Eric said...

Hello
Great article and photos, thanks a lot. Have you any information about the guitar Georges is playing on the last 4 black and white picture ?
I cannot identify it.
Regards
Eric