Monday, December 04, 2006

We Will Never Stop Believing










A Poem For John Lennon
By Randy California

In days of old when thoughts were bold, ideals were high, we reached for the sky.
A guiding light for all to see, one person's special dream for humanity
We were many but now we are few, hurt and confused by what happened to you.
It seems to always end this way...men of peace are not wanted they say
It's not just one that does them in,
but the lower evil side of man that comes back to haunt us again and again

In our lives we loved you more, you opened so many doors..............

The shock of this will never leave, for I was one who did believe.
Beautiful man, questioning one, always searching for the reason.
You let us visit into your mind, your private world for a time......
and what you gave will never die...and I'll never stop believing in you, we'll never stop believing your dream can come true.
Imagine.....

- Randy California


(Randy California is one of the greatest guitarists of all time; unfortunately, he is underrated and underappreciated. The first four Spirit albums are essential listening, so go out and discover this amazing artist and his equally amazing band! RIP, Randy...)



I will not be able to update my blog on Friday because I will be out of town.

I miss John Lennon every day of my life, though I never personally knew him. I was six years old when he was torn from his earthly existence, but I saw at that moment how his death affected the people around me and the rest of the world as well. I took out my mother's copy of The Beatles' Second Album that she had given me (that I had worn out from repeated listenings) and drew a thin line in ink under John Lennon's name. I felt such a connection with him and his music. Over the years, he has been a constant presence in my life. I find it very hard to put into words how I feel about John. I've always related to him, or have been drawn to him, even though our lives are not similar. His intelligence, creativity, wit, talent, genius, honesty and humanity are so compelling.

There are no words for what I feel.

This blog is a testament of my love for John Winston Ono Lennon.

I will try to write more this week.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful pictures and very beautiful words. I understand the difficulty of putting into words how you feel about John; I feel much the same way. I think it's great that people like you keep him alive as much as ever in you own wonderful way. This is a very overwhelming time of the year for me, and I just wanted to say thank you for verbalizing some of the things I know I do not have the ability to express.

<3

child of nature said...

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! It means so much to know that through this blog I've been able to connect with other fans who feel the same way as I do. I'm glad the words and pictures can serve as a comfort for you at this time of year. Thanks again for your kindness. :)

Laura said...

I wrote something too, on my LJ: beatlesnspurs.livejournal.com

Nothing fancy, but I tried to write what I feel the time Dec. 8 comes around.

I'm so thankful for this blog - you don't even know - he was one of the most enigmatic figures - person - of our time.

It's so nice that there's someone like you that's so appreciative of him and his work. I'm echoing anonymous's words - thanks again <3.

Anonymous said...

often , when we are young , our sensitivity is heightened , our perception is clearer , our intentions are more pure.

the holy spirit is like the body of water held inside a great dam.
it seeks the point of least resistance , it flows from the smallest of passages through the barriers of humanity.
to nourish & inspire those closest to the source.

in this sense , john lennon was vehicle for that spirit which is what creates & sustains humanity.

in this sense , john lennon was a
child of human nature.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for this blog. It's wonderful, really.

On another note, it's pretty unbelievable that Stella McCartney would have her baby on December 8. I'd be curious to know what Paul had to say, if anything.

caravan70 said...

I was 10 when John was taken from us... I miss him every day as well. I remember my parents calling me from downstairs when the special bulletin came on television - I was heartbroken. The Beatles were already my favorite band, and losing him was like having a brother and mentor taken away. Thanks for your evocative tribute to John in this post.

By the way, I was absolutely stunned when I saw that you'd heard of Spirit, given that you're about my age... until I looked at your profile, and saw that we're virtually twins! :D Looks like we'd both be quite happy to have been 18 in 1966 and haunting the UFO Club in the U.K. or the Troubadour over here.

All the best!

Darren